Homemade laundry powder is an easy, inexpensive and non-toxic way to handle washing your laundry.
Many homemade recipes contain borax, a natural cleaning agent which has been used for centuries.
Borax is no longer available in the UK and EU as a cleaning and laundry product, since the EU reclassified the ‘Borate’ group of chemicals that Borax belongs to as potentially hazardous to health.
Check out this borax-free laundry detergent which is safe and non-toxic.
Homemade Borax Free Laundry Powder
- 1/2 cup bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1 cup soda crystals
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 1 bar of castile soap
- A couple of drops of essential oil of your choice (Lavender or Lemon oil work well)
- Grate the castile soap
- Place the grated castile soap in a bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda, citric acid, soda crystals and sea salt
- Stir with a wooden spoon
- Add the drops of essential oil of your choice
- Stir again and then transfer the mixture in to a large container. Store in a cool, dark place.
This batch of laundry powder can last between 40-60 washes. Use 1-2 scoops per load. If you live in an area with hard water, you will need to adjust the amount of laundry detergent used.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She is a writer who specialises in sustainable lifestyle and living, wellbeing, and entertainments. Rosa also works as a psychic, counsellor, intuitive reader and spiritual life coach helping people to become who they truly are and manifest their heart & soul’s desires into their lives: www.rosalindmedea.com