Homemade cordials are easy to make and you can experiment with a range of fruits, herbs or plants to make your own botanical thirst quencher.
This recipe for mint and lime cordial makes a perfect drink, that is a refreshing and energising tonic anytime of day. Both mint and lime aid digestion, cleanse the body and is good for skincare too.
This homemade mint and lime cordial can also be used as a mixer for alcoholic drinks such as mojitos and caipirinhas.
550g caster sugar
2 bunches mint, washed and roughly torn (stems included)
3 limes, zest and juice
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- When the sugar has dissolved add the mint and lime zest. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and add the lime juice.
- Leave the mixture to cool completely.
- Strain the mixture, pouring it into a measuring glass. This mixture will give you approximately 800ml of cordial.
- Place cordial in a glass bottle. Keeps in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Pour approximately 25ml of cordial to a glass and add 100ml of sparkling or still water.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. Follow Rosa on Twitter.