Flapjacks, the sweet tray-baked oat bar, are simple to make using four key ingredients – butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and oats.
These can be made soft and chewy or crisp and crunchy, depending on your preference.
175g Butter, cut into chunks
175g Golden Syrup
175g Soft Brown Sugar
350g Porridge oats
Makes around 12 flapjacks.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 2, and grease a square baking tin with baking parchment.
- Heat the butter, golden syrup and light brown muscovado sugar in saucepan until the sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the oats.
- Place the mixture into the tray, pressing it and levelling it with the back of a spoon.
- For soft and chewy flapjacks, bake for 15 minutes so the top has just started to caramelise and is a light golden colour. For crunchy flapjacks, bake for a further ten minutes.
- Leave to cool. Then cut into 12 rectangles.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. Follow Rosa on Twitter.