Protein balls or energy balls are ideal snacks for a boost of energy or as a healthy alternative when desiring to eat something sweet.
There are now many stores selling energy balls, however these are simple and easy to make yourself at home.
The recipe below uses four ingredients including dates, which give these energy bites a naturally sweet taste.
- 3 tbsp porridge oats
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 7 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 100g dates (approximately four pitted dates)
- Blitz the porridge oats in a food processor until it’s a fine powder.
- Add the peanut butter, dates and 4tbsp of desiccated coconut to the food processor. Blitz until there is a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl and leave in the fridge for a few minutes to chill.
- Place the remaining 3 tablespoons of desiccated coconut on a clean kitchen surface.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and shape the mixture into small round balls. This mix should yield 18 balls.
- Roll the balls in the desiccated coconut. Store in an airtight container.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea