Pesto is a versatile tasty sauce that can be used as a stir-in sauce for pasta marinade or as a marinade for chicken or fish. Even if you are short of time, making your own pesto sauce is quick, simple and easy.
This recipe for red pesto includes red chilli, which adds a hot kick to the tangy sun-dried tomatoes. It can also be made without the addition of red chilli.
- 200g of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 200g roasted red pepper (you can make this fresh or use a jar of roasted red pepper)
- 20g of fresh basil
- 60g of pine nuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat oven to 200C. Rub the red pepper with 1 tbsp of olive oil, then roast in the oven for 40-45 mins until soft.
- Leave the roasted peppers to cool.
- Put the sun-dried tomatoes, chilli, red pepper, fresh basil, pine nuts, garlic clove, parmesan, 25 ml of extra virgin olive oil in a small blender. Blitz.
- Add salt and crushed black pepper to taste. Add the remaining 25ml of extra virgin olive oil. Blitz for a few seconds.
- Serve with pasta. Penne is a good choice or if you desire to use in a cold pasta salad, fusilli works well.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea