Fudge gets a slightly boozy flavour with the addition of rum-soaked raisins in this sweet treat. Makes an ideal gift for fudge lovers.
1 can condensed milk
450g demerara sugar
125g chopped butter
140g whole milk
- Soak the raisins in dark rum and leave overnight.
- Put the condensed milk, demerara sugar, chopped butter, and whole milk in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir constantly until it reaches 240F on a sugar thermometer. If you don’t have a sugar thermometer you can use the soft ball technique by dropping a small amount of the mixture into a glass of cold water. If it forms a soft ball it is at the right temperature.
- Continue to boil gently for 6 minutes. Remember to stir often to prevent the bottom sticking and burning.
- Remove from the heat and when the bubbles subside add in the rum-soaked raisins.
- Pour into a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Allow to cool for a few hours before putting in the fridge overnight to set.
- Cut into small pieces.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea