If you like your sweet treats a tad tart, these lemon bars are likely to satisfy your citrus desire.
There are many different recipes for lemon bars – some of which use several ingredients. The recipe below is straightforward and requires few ingredients, many of which you probably already have at home, therefore you may or may not need to make a trip to the store for.
For the base:
- 130g cold butter
- 250g plain flour
- 65g caster sugar
For the lemon topping:
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- zest of 3 lemons
- 200ml of fresh lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
- 25g plain flour
- icing sugar for dusting
- Heat oven to 180C/360F.
- To make the base, put the flour, caster sugar and cold butter in a bowl and mix until you have fine crumb mix.
- Place the mix in a square baking tin lined with baking parchment paper.
- Bake for 20mins until slightly brown.
- For the lemon topping, put the sugar, plain flour, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mix on the base. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
- Cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar, and slice.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea