Antiseptic cream is a household essential to tend to cuts and scrapes. Many of the conventional antiseptic creams contain paraffin, and while there are many natural alternatives on the market, it is just easy to make a natural antiseptic healing balm at home with a few simple ingredients.
The below healing balm uses lavender oil, lemon oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil.
Both lemon and lavender have antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. Lavender is also analgesic, meaning it can be used for pain relief.
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties, while sunflower oil contains Vitamin E which is beneficial for skin healing and fading scars.
- 200g extra virgin coconut oil
- 1-and-a-half ounces beeswax
- 1 tbsp organic sunflower oil
- 20 drops lavender oil
- 10 drops lemon oil
- Slice the beeswax into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add the coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil and beeswax over a low heat or double boiler until in liquid form
- Once in liquid form remove from heat and add the lavender oil, lemon oil, sunflower oil, and stir briefly.
- Pour mixture into a small glass jars or mason jars. Let cool before placing the lids on.
- Store in a cool, dark place. Use as needed on any cuts or scrapes. Shelf life: approximately 4 years.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea