If you are cooking a roast dinner, baste your chicken with coconut oil instead of butter for a healthier alternative.
The combination of lemon, thyme and coconut oil gives roast chicken a zesty and fresh flavour.
When using coconut oil for cooking and basting, be sure to invest in a good quality extra virgin coconut oil.
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil
- a small bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F
- Cut a lemon in half
- With one half of the lemon squeeze a little juice into a small glass bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves. Mix together.
- Place the two lemon halves inside the cavity of the chicken, as well as a small bunch of thyme.
- Gently lift the skin away from the breast of the chicken and press half of the coconut oil mixture underneath on both sides.
- Rub the remaining coconut oil mixture on the outside of the chicken. Stuff the lemon inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken in a baking tin.
- Roast the chicken for 1hr 30mins.
- Let the chicken sit for 10 minutes before carving. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with the roasting juices and green leafy vegetables.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea