Macaroni cheese is a classic dish loved by generations.
Serve up this treat of a mac’n’cheese with the addition of vegetables – cauliflower and kale – for a special family feast. The smokey bacon and single cream give this meal a luxurious touch, without it feeling too heavy given that the smokey bacon flavour balances out the creamy texture and taste.
This recipe is easily adaptable for vegetarians. Just leave out the bacon.
- 350g macaroni
- 300ml whole milk
- 300ml single cream
- 30g unsalted butter
- 20g plain flour
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 8 rashers of smoked bacon, sliced into strips
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 100g of curly kale
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to boil. Tip in pasta and cook for 5min, add cauliflower and continue cooking for 2min more, then tip in kale, bring back to boil for a final 2min, until just cooked. Drain. Then pour into a large glass ovenproof dish.
- In a frying pan, cook the bacon in its own fat. Cook until the bacon is cooked through, then take off the heat. Let the bacon cool. Once it’s cool, slice into small strips and add to the macaroni and vegetables, being sure to distribute the bacon evenly.
- Melt the butter in a medium pan over a meduim heat, then add the garlic and mustard powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the plain flour to the pan and stir.
- Add the milk and the cream, and whisk until the sauce is smooth and lump-free. Continue to whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Take the pan off the heat, then add the grated cheddar cheese and leave it to melt. Give the mix a stir.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni, bacon, cauliflower and kale.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is crisp and golden.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea