Eton Mess is a delightfully delicious and easy-to-make dessert that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
This traditional English dessert comprises of whipped cream, strawberries and broken pieces of meringues. Usually served in the summer when it’s strawberry season, the recipe below can be made using frozen strawberries so you can get a taste for this traditional dessert and of sweet things to come during the summer.
- 500g of strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp of granulated sugar or caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- 2 meringue nests, broken into pieces
- Chop strawberries.
- Place half the strawberries in a blender, add the caster sugar and blend until a smooth sauce.
- In a large bowl whisk the cream until it just holds its shape.
- Crush the meringue nests into small pieces and then fold them in to the whipped cream. Add most of the remaining chopped strawberries (leaving a few chopped strawberries aside for garnish) into the mix. Then add the strawberry sauce into the mixture, swirling it in.
- Spoon into small bowls. Decorate with a few chopped strawberries and serve.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea