Dress up your side dishes of vitamin-enriched greens such as spinach by adding a creamy sauce.
Creamed spinach is a perfect accompaniment to meat, chicken or fish dishes.
This recipe for creamed spinach uses few ingredients and is spiced with the warming nutmeg. You can use frozen spinach for this dish. In fact frozen spinach often works better in cooking.
- 500g frozen spinach, thawed
- 120g single cream
- 300ml whole milk
- Whole nutmeg, grated
- 3tbsp plain flour
- Lug of Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp of unsalted butter
- Salt, to taste
- Add a lug of sunflower oil to a medium sauce pan on a medium heat. Cook the onions for 5minutes until golden.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Turn down the heat to a low setting and add the milk. Stir until the mixture is thick.
- Add the frozen spinach and cook for 2minutes.
- Pour in the cream.
- Season with nutmeg and salt.
- Switch off the heat. Stir in one teaspoon of butter into the pan, making sure it melts into the creamed spinach.
- Serve with meat or fish of your choice.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea