Pizza sauce can be used for a variety of dishes – as a pizza base, pasta sauce and as a sauce to dress chicken or fish.
The key to a good pizza sauce is in the seasoning and good quality tinned tomatoes. This recipe for pizza sauce includes dried chilli flakes for an extra kick.
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes or plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tbsps of sundried tomato paste
- 2 tsps of caster sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper, to season
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- A lug of olive oil
- Add a lug of olive oil to a large sauce pan on a low heat. Add the crushed garlic, cooking it for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, dried chilli flakes and sugar to the pan. Give it a good stir and then add salt and pepper to season.
- Stir in the sundried tomato paste and cook the sauce on a low heat for 20 minutes. Stir often, adding more seasoning to taste.
- Remove heat. Allow to cool. The sauce can also be refrigerated.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea