If you find you’ve got bananas in the fruit bowl that are going brown, don’t let them go to waste, get baking instead. This Banana Loaf Cake with Buttercream Topping is easy to make and is a real teatime treat.
For the loaf cake:
- 140g Golden Caster Sugar
- 140g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 140g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
For the buttercream topping:
- 65g unsalted butter, softened
- 120g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3-4 walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 2lb loaf tin with butter and line with baking parchment paper.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a large bowl and cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs, flour and banana – mixing well between each addition.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 40mins or until well risen and dark golden brown.
- Let the loaf cake cool for 5-10mins before removing it and placing on a cooling the cake on a cooling rack. Leave it to completely cool before adding the buttercream topping.
- Make the Buttercream: Place the butter, vanilla essence and icing sugar into a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. You can use a hand held whisk for ease and speed.
- Spread the buttercream over the top of the cake. Decorate with the chopped walnuts (optional).
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea