If you are currently nursing a seasonal cold – anything from the snivvles, dry cough, blocked sinuses or feeling “under the weather”, give this immune boosting Ginger, Lime & Honey Mojito to blast the cooties to smithereens.
The active ingredient in fresh ginger, gingerol, can help lower the risk of infections, including respiratory infections associated with cold and flu.
The vitamin C in limes can boost your immune system, thus reducing the duration of your cold. Studies have shown that limes can have the same effects on influenza as well.
Honey contains antioxidants, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties which help fight against common cold and its symptoms. Honey helps to soothe a sore throat. For this Wellbeing Cocktail, I used manuka honey which is high in antibacterial properties and will ease a dry cough.
This cold-fighting and immune boosting Ginger, Lime & Honey Cocktail is a potent and fiery tonic that will help to blast any seasonal cold symptoms you may be feeling. The below ingredients will make one glass.
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons of Manuka honey (or raw honey)
- 1 lime, cut into quarts
- 50ml dark rum
- Soda water
- Place the ginger, honey and quarts of lime into a tumbler glass, and using a wooden muddler (if you don’t have one, the end of a wooden spoon will do) and mash the ingredients to release the flavours and combine the active ingredients.
- Add the measure of rum.
- Top with a dash of soda water, filling close to the top of the tumbler.
- Serve. Note: Do not add ice as it will water down the active, medicinal properties of the ingredients.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief @rosamedea