Oatcakes are a healthy and nutritious snack to munch on when you are in need of a little something. With the delightful addition of cheese and thyme, these oatcakes are simple and easy to make and will go down a treat with kids and adults alike.
- 220g of rolled oats
- 150g of medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 30g of butter, melted
- 100g of warm water
- Coarse black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper.
- Place oats in a blender to make the rolled oats fine.
- Place the oats in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the melted butter over the oats.
- Add the grated cheese, thyme, coarse black pepper and a pinch of salt. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the warm water. Mix this all together until the mixture combines and looks like dough.
- Roll the oat mixture on to a floured surface and roll until about 3-5mm thick.
- Cut the dough into pieces with a cookie cutter and place the shapes on a lined baking tray. The oat mix will yield approximately 15 oatcakes using a large round cookie cutter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let them cool. Serve. The oatcakes can be stored (that’s if you have any left ;)) in a biscuit tin.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about sustainable lifestyle and green living for publications, and offers content services to planet-friendly businesses. Find out more at Rosamedea.com