Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. Bears and wolves to coexist in UK woods for first time in 1,000 years – European brown bears, thought to have become extinct in the British wilds in medieval times, and grey wolves – which roamed free until the 17th century – are to coexist in a project called Bear Wood near Bristol, The Guardian writes.
2. Environment takes centre stage at Hebridean Celtic Festival – The Herald reports that music festival HebCelt is changing the face of Scotland’s music events scene with a promise to keep its impact on the beautiful landscape of its island host to a minimum.
3. Weeding, writing and arithmetic…why green fingers are good for our children – Schools should teach pupils gardening skills to instill a passion for the environment in future generations, says Royal Horticultural Society director general, Sue Biggs, The Guardian reports.
4. Meet the food waste warriors – From cocktails using coffee grinds to foraging for your dinner, ES Magazine meets some eco experts on a mission to stop food waste.
5. Reuse & Repurpose: Innovation will Unlock the Solution to Plastic Waste – Sustainable Brands discusses how solutions to the issue with plastic should focus on driving a circular economy – by recycling plastic waste and innovating to repurpose and reuse it.
6. Converse’s new trainers are made from 11 plastic bottles per pair – The Converse Renew series of Chuck Taylors is made of recycled plastic bottles, up-cycled denim and off-cuts from Converse’s own manufacturing process, according to Wired.
7. Quarry being turned into country park by school pupils – Youngsters from Castell Alun High School, Wrexham, have been busy placing benches and nature trails at the former Fagl Lane aggregates quarry, near Hope in Flintshire. Their work forms part of their Welsh Baccalaureate qualification, the BBC reports.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com