Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. Sand dunes in the UK set for a dynamic future with National Lottery funding – A radical new approach to managing sand dunes that aims to reverse over 100 years of decline has been given £4m funding from the National Lottery, Plantlife reports. Sand dunes are being smothered by invasive plants, destroying the habitats of some of our most endangered species. Now, a pioneering partnership – Dynamic Dunescapes – is stepping in to save them by working with people to bring life back to the dunes and get them thriving again – reversing a decades old approach to dune management.
2. Anne Hathaway’s Taking on Film-Industry Pollution with Trash is for Tossers founder Lauren Singer – Anne Hathaway discusses with InStyle how she is ready to make zero-waste an even bigger part of her life and her career.
3. Three Ways to Integrate Sustainability Into Your Small Business – Conscious Company discuss three simple steps to make sustainability part of your daily work.
4. Seven simple ways you can reduce waste when flying – Lonely Planet Magazine shares seven ways you can ensure your journey’s as low-waste as possible.
5. The rise of ‘ungardening’: how to turn a backyard into a wildlife haven – Wildlife gardening expert Sirin Kale, writing in The Guardian, gives her tips on attracting birds, mammals and bugs to your outdoor space.
6. Venice bans cruise ships from Grand Canal and city centre after protests from residents – The Italian government has announced that large cruise ships will be banned from entering Venice’s historic centre, ABC reports. Ships weighing more than 1,000 tonnes will be rerouted away from certain waterways from September, a move that comes after a years-long campaign by residents.
7. Environment of greater concern than housing or terrorism, UK poll reveals – Protecting the environment has overtaken affordable housing and the threat of terrorism in the British public’s policy priorities over the last eight months, according to polling by BritainThinks, The Guardian reports.
Image Credit: Peter Lindbergh
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com