The Chakra Files is a series here on Life & Soul Magazine that will give you an explanation of each chakra and its associations, and information on how to balance your chakras
The chakras are energy centres that are part of the subtle body or the energetic body. There are seven major chakras – the first of which originates at the base of the spine, and the last which reaches up to the crown of the head. There are several other chakras too, but for the purpose of this series, we will look at the seven major chakras.
The chakras extend outwards in to the energetic bodies that include the astral body,the aura, and a being’s energy field.
The Sanskrit word “chakra” translates to “wheel,” or “circle.” Each chakra or wheel swirls in circular motion. With all chakras in simultaneous movement, they create a combination of energy and life force.
The seven major chakras have a purpose. Each chakra has its own associations with a specific colour, vibrational frequency, symbol and mantra, and corresponds to separate body parts. The chakras must work together to create balance and for mind, body and soul to function as they should.
When the chakras are in alignment with one another and in balance, the wheels spin effortlessly and energy flows as it should and in harmony, and a person will experience physical, spiritual, energetic, mental and emotional wellbeing.
When the chakras are imbalanced or misaligned – either over-active or under-active – a person will feel that something is not functioning as it should. An imbalance of the chakras or a particular chakra can be very subtle – meaning a person does not have to experience a physical condition or ailment to be aware that there is an imbalance in a chakra or chakras.
Maintaining the chakras is an essential part of a person’s daily wellbeing just like bathing or taking a shower. Any imbalances of the chakras can be corrected through a number of healing methods that include energetic clearing and cleansing, music healing therapy, gemstones that correspond to specific chakras, yoga, qi gong, mantras, meditation, mindfulness and positive affirmations.
The seven major chakras are:
- Root Chakra – Located at the base of the spine, the Root Chakra governs survival instincts, and grounding. It is associated with the colour red and its mantra sound is LAM.
- Sacral Chakra – Located in the lower abdomen area; the Sacral Chakra governs sexuality, intuition, self-worth/-esteem. It is associated with the colour orange and its mantra sound is VAM.
- Solar Plexus or Power Chakra – Located at the belly, the Solar Plexus governs will, personal power, and assertiveness. It is associated with the colour yellow and its mantra sound is RAM.
- Heart Chakra – Located at the centre the chest, the Heart Chakra governs compassion and spirituality. It is associated with the colour green and its mantra sound is YAM.
- Throat Chakra – Located in the throat area, the Throat Chakra governs communication. It is associated with the colour blue and its mantra sound is HAM.
- Third Eye Chakra – Located between the eyes, the Third Eye Chakra governs rationality, wisdom, and imagination. It is associated with the colour indigo and its mantra sound is OHM.
- Crown Chakra – Located at the top of the head, the Crown Chakra governs connection with the Divine. It is associated with the colour violet or pure white and its mantra sound is AH.
In the next article in The Chakra Files, Life & Soul Magazine takes an in-depth look at the Root Chakra
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyles including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com