The Chakra Files is a series here on Life & Soul Magazine that will give you an explanation of each chakra and its associations, and information on how to balance your chakras
The Sacral Chakra or Svadhisthana, which is the second of the chakras, is located just below the navel, right in the centre of your lower belly and in your back, it is located in the lumbar spine.
The Sacral Chakra is associated with the lower abdomen, bladder, kidneys, reproductive organs, glands and your circulatory system.
Also associated with the element of water and the colour orange, the Sacral Chakra is the centre of emotions, feelings, creativity and stimulates pleasure. It plays an active role in our sexuality and expression of our sexual needs and desires.
Given its association with the water element, the Sacral Chakra’s energy is characterised by flow and flexibility. This energy assists you to move on, accept change, and transform.
The Sacral Chakra, otherwise known as Svadhisthana which means “your own place”, supports personal expansion and exploration of your world and the world around you. This includes emotion, pleasure, connection, and intimacy.
An important foundational chakra like the Root Chakra, the Sacral Chakra enables us to shape our lives. As the centre of passion, your Sacral Chakra awakens your power of creation. This allows you to discover what you truly enjoy and create intimate relationships. Since the Sacral Chakra is the birth canal, it enables us to create or birth the life we want and to start projects.
Motivated by pleasure and joy, the Sacral Chakra is the driving force for your enjoyment of life, and so creating the foundation for your emotional wellbeing. It stimulates the imagination and creativity, and enables you to create and enjoy intimate relationships.
A balanced Sacral Chakra:
When your Sacral Chakra is balanced, it enables you to feel and experience life to its fullness, allowing you to be passionate, creative, and sensual while connecting with your feelings and emotions. You will also experience a sense of wellness, abundance, and have a good relationship with the world and people around you.
Recognising Sacral Chakra Imbalance:
When the Sacral Chakra is imbalanced, it can make you feel emotionally and physically destabilised. Depression, being overly sensitive, experiencing anxiety can all be signs that the Sacral Chakra is imbalanced. You may show signs of emotional problems, compulsive or obsessive behaviour, addictions, obesity, restlessness and hormone imbalances.
Physical symptoms such as anaemia, hypoglycaemia, lower back pain, joint problems, low energy, spleen and kidney issues, and premenstrual syndrome can also be a result of an imbalance of the Sacral Chakra.
Another sign that your Sacral Chakra has an imbalance is the feeling of being unsatisfied with life which can bring about addictive behaviours as you constantly try to fulfil yourself with external things. On a spiritual level, having poor boundaries and being dependent or co-dependent on other people or a substance that grants you easy access to pleasure such as drugs or alcohol are also signs of Sacral Chakra imbalance.
Identifying an Overactive Sacral Chakra:
An overactive Sacral Chakra means your Sacral Chakra is distributing too much energy and is working in overdrive. Given that the Sacral Chakra governs emotions, an overactive Sacral Chakra will make you feel overwhelmed. You may feel emotions more deeply, experience mood swings, or become overly dependent on others.
You may also experience issues of excess and conflict from thriving on drama to having unhealthy relationships.
Identifying an Underactive Sacral Chakra:
An underactive Sacral chakra can affect your overall wellbeing. When your sacral chakra is blocked or underactive, you may be experiencing a sense of lack of control ranging from uncertainty to an inability to cope with life’s changes. When the sacral chakra becomes blocked, it often detaches you from your emotions and those around you
Symptoms of an underactive Sacral Chakra include fear of pleasure; lack of creativity; fatigue; lack of desire; insecurity; detachment; low libido; and not being authentic to yourself.
How to Heal Sacral Chakra Imbalance:
There are simple ways in which you can heal, realign or balance your chakras. Chakra balancing or alignment restores the harmonious and balanced flow of energy throughout the body. Just as you take care of your daily physical needs such as brushing your teeth and taking a shower, the process of chakra balancing and realigning your chakras is also a daily activity.
Here are some of the ways in which you can balance your Sacral Chakra:
- Use Crystals to Support and Aid Healing of the Sacral Chakra – The colour of the Sacral is orange and so orange coloured crystals will help to heal and activate the energy. Carnelian is a crystal that especially resonates with the Sacral Chakra, helping to restore vitality and motivation, and stimulate creativity. It also gives courage, promotes positive life choices, and dispels apathy. You can use crystals for chakra healing by placing them near the chakra point or sitting with them in meditation. Other crystals that can assist with Sacral Chakra healing include orange calcite, tiger’s eye, and amber.
- Connect with water – Given that the Sacral Chakra is associated with the water element, as well as flow, head to a body of water – it could be a lake, river, stream or the ocean even – or take a shower or sit in a warm bath and add a few drops of an essential oil that corresponds to the Sacral Chakra and joy such as orange oil.
- Connect to your creativity – Get in touch with your creativity and passions, or engage in something fun and playful.
- Meditation – Meditation plays a vital role in balancing and opening your chakras. Chakra meditation techniques are very similar to regular mediation techniques. There are numerous guided meditations that will assist you in healing your chakras.
- Sound Healing – Sound healing is a very powerful way to align your chakras. There are numerous techniques including chakra chants and tools such as singing bowls and gongs that work with the soundwaves of each chakra. Meditative Mind’s YouTube and Spotify Channels offer numerous chakra chants for attuning and balancing the chakras. Sound healer Richard Rudis, who uses gongs in the Tibetan tradition, is also a good place to start. The key with sound healing is finding ones that resonate with you.
- Affirmations – Affirmations are a positive way to heal negative programming that can be embedded in the subconscious. If there is negative programming present, this in-and-of itself is a cause of chakra imbalances. Affirmations can help you to re-programme the subconscious with a positive mindset and to raise your vibrations. Some affirmations for that help the Sacral Chakra include:
- I am passionate
- I am a creative being
- I have boundaries that protect me
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyles including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com