Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. On the verge: a quiet roadside revolution is boosting wildflowers – Projects to reduce grass cutting and increase the diversity of plants and wildlife along Britain’s roads are having dramatic results, The Guardian reports.
2. New Beginnings for an Ancient Forest, One Tree at a Time – As climate change makes summers hotter and drier in the Northern Rockies, forests are threatened with increasing wildfire activity, deadly pathogens, and insect infestations, including the mountain pine beetle outbreak, which has killed more than 6 million acres of forest across Montana since 2000. Forestry workers are rushing to plant new trees in the scorched earth of an ancient forest, Yes! Magazine writes.
3. Earth Logic Plan launches to transform fashion industry – A new radical framework – Earth Logic, intended to move fashion from a system of unsustainable growth and consumption to putting earth and nature before all else, has been launched, Fibre2Fashion writes.
4. 25 ways you can travel and still help save the planet – Want to get around ecologically? See the wildlife sustainably? Help the people you meet? Wanderlust advise on how you can be a more conscious traveller.
5. Beach cleaning provides vital information on plastic pollution – Beach cleans can provide vital information on plastic pollution, according to researchers at the University of Exeter.Increasing awareness of the dangers that plastic pollution is having on the oceans and marine wildlife has led to more and more individuals to take part in beach cleans, Environment Jounal reports.
6. Bill Gates-Led Fund Invests in Synthetic Palm Oil Startup – C16 Biosciences uses yeast to convert food waste and industrial byproducts into a sustainable alternative, reports Bloomberg.
7. What happens to all the old wind turbines? – BBC investigates how wind turbines from the 1990s, which are reaching the end of their working lives, are being recycled or disposed.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyles including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com