Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. As Greeks lower volume, experts can hear the earth’s murmurs – Greek researchers say a sudden decline in human-generated noise levels due to a nationwide coronavirus lockdown is giving them valuable insights into the inner rumblings of earth, according to Reuters.
2. Coronavirus lockdown giving world’s oceans much-needed breathing space – The coronavirus lockdown is giving the world’s oceans much-needed breathing space, let’s hope we don’t go back to bad habits when it ends, writes the Ocean Conservation Trust in the Environment Journal.
3. Living Planet: Coronavirus & the environment — necessary changes – From the importance of getting out into nature in times of social distancing to concerns around maintaining food supply chains, DW explores how this virus is changing the way everyone interacts with the world around them — and maybe pointing to some needed changes.
4. Teach a Man to Fish: Why Some Travel Companies Support Microfinance – While sustainable tourism offerings are increasing along with traveller interest in giving back to the communities that they visit, most operators support local organisations through donations. But a growing wave are opting for microfinance to create larger, lasting impacts for more people, Sustainable Brands says.
5. Pandas mate for the first time in 10 years after zoo closes to public over coronavirus – Two pandas in Hong Kong mated for the first time in 10 years after the zoo shut its doors to the public over the novel coronavirus outbreak, ABC News reports.
6. Matthew McConaughey hosts virtual bingo for senior citizens – Matthew McConaughey and his family took time out of their quarantine schedules to play virtual bingo with a group of seniors at the Enclave at Round Rock Senior Living facility, Country Living reports.
7. Heritage on the Edge – Google Arts & Culture finds out how people around the world are protecting their cultural sites against climate change.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com