Maintaining healthy gums is an important part of daily oral care.
If your gums are in need of some extra TLC, you may want to add a healing gum treatment to your daily care of flossing and brushing teeth. The below recipe makes use of coconut oil, myrrh oil and clove oil to help cleanse, stimulate, and regenerate the gums.
Coconut oil acts as an antibacterial agent to remove harmful bacteria in the mouth. It also reduces plaque buildup, prevents tooth decay and fights gum disease.
Clove oil has long been a remedy for toothache due to infection thanks to its powerful analgesic (pain relieving) and antiseptic properties. It also reduces the bacteria that cause gum disease and helps create a balanced environment in the mouth and throat area.
Myrrh oil is antimicrobial and is used in the treatment of gum disease including gingivitis. It reduces the redness and swelling identified with weakening gums or gum disease, healing gums by increasing blood flow to the tissue.
- 1 tsp of extra virgin coconut oil
- 6 drops of myrrh oil
- 3 drops of clove oil
- Q-tips/Cotton Buds
- Small container
- Put the solid coconut oil in the container and allow it to melt to liquid.
- Add the myrrh oil and clove oil to the liquified coconut oil
- Stir the mixture with a q-tip/cotton bud.
- Starting with your upper gums, apply the oil mix directly on to the gum line (where teeth and gums meet) using the q-tip/cotton bud and then work your way up the entire gum area so the oil touches all of the gum.
- Repeat for the gum line at the back of the teeth.
- Work your way along the bottom gums.
- Apply twice a day, morning and night after brushing. You can also use this gum strengthening oil as a pulling oil.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com