Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. World Oceans Day: Take a biodiversity tour of Dublin Bay – Marine ecologist and Coastwatch director Karin Dubsky highlights the biodiversity of Dublin Bay. Coastwatch is launching a citizen science survey on World Oceans Day, Irish Times reports.
2. While covid lockdowns keep others at home, these Londoners are swinging through the trees – Washington Post highlights the work of tree surgeons, Adam Rendell and Sam Davis, who take turns slicing through trails of dead wood at neck-craning heights.
3. Secret gardens: the quietest national parks and nature reserves near Sydney – With waterfalls, walking trails and cycle paths, Sydney’s less-visited national parks are no less spectacular for their obscurity, The Guardian writes.
4. Top 10 Facts about Bees – Almost 90% of wild plants and 75% of leading global crops depend on animal pollination. Read WWF‘s top 10 facts on why bees are crucial to the environment.
5. Back to the grind: historic mills boosted by flour shortage during Covid-19 lockdown – With a shortage of flour at supermarkets, many shoppers have turned to traditional local mills to get their fix, leaving the mills struggling to meet demand, while ancient dormant mills grind back into life, The Guardian reports.
6. Zero Waste in the Time of COVID – The Tyee meets businesses in Vancouver proving even in a pandemic we can innovate ‘circular’ solutions.
7. Artist Linda Tegg transforms car park in Stockholm into biodiverse meadow for ArkDes – Australian artist Linda Tegg, has temporarily rewilded the car park outside Sweden’s national centre for architecture and design. She has added thousands of plants to the asphalt of the Exercisplan car park for the installation, which is called Infield – enclosed meadows that were often adjacent to farms – and is intended to attract myriad birds and insects to the site throughout its three-month duration, according to Dezeen.
Image Credit: Dezeen
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com