Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. Latin America set for renewable energy boom – Latin America is emerging as a green powerhouse, according to Rystad Energy, with some of the strongest renewable capacity growth expected globally in the coming years, Energy Global reports.
2. Prime minister pledges 100% renewable energy generation in New Zealand by 2030 – New Zealand’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern has pledged to achieve 100% renewable energy in the country by 2030 if her party wins re-election in October, Axios writes.
3. World’s top companies urge action on nature loss ahead of U.N. talks – Some of the world’s biggest companies – including Walmart, Microsoft and Citigroup – have backed growing calls for governments to do more to reverse the accelerating destruction of the natural world and support broader efforts to fight climate change, Reuters reports.
4. Surfers around the world are using sensors in their board fins to gather data about the health of oceans – Smartfin, a US-based nonprofit, is giving data-collecting “smart” surfboard fins to surfers. The fins collect a range of data, including temperature and location, according to the World Economic Forum.
5. Indonesia: Mushroom leather fashion – Shoes, bags, armbands – Adi Reza Nughoro in the city of Bandung creates the raw material for such products from agricultural waste. His startup Mycotech makes leather from mushrooms. It’s easy on the environment and doesn’t involve killing animals, DW reports.
6. Massive tree-planting initiative on its way in Glasgow – Over 20,000 trees will be planted in the southern part of the city as part of its efforts to combat climate change, according to The Mayor.EU.
7. Garnier pledges to plant 400,000 trees by November – Global beauty brand Garnier has unveiled plans for a new consumer-facing reforestation project that will see 400,000 trees planted by the end of October as the company seeks to take an important step towards delivering net zero emissions, Business Green writes.
Image Source: Smartfin
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living.