Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. The traditions that could save a nation’s forests – Indigenous communities evicted from their ancestral forest lands in Kenya have plans to restore peace and biodiversity to their homelands, BBC Future reports.
2. Solar power pioneer to sink £4m into rewilding Scotland after company sale – A former scientific director at Greenpeace is to sink around £4m into rewilding and climate change projects in Scotland after selling his global solar energy business, according to The Scotsman.
3. A Cheltenham plant lover has transformed his spare room into a “jungle”. Tony Le-Britton has been interested in horticulture since he was a child and decided to extend his collection during lockdown. He said his grandparents’ allotment inspired him to love plants for the “rest of his life”.
4. The first stretch of Miami’s new 10-mile linear park is set to open – The first section of The Underline, a long-awaited 10-mile linear park in Miami, is opening on November 16, Lonely Planet writes. The green space has been planted with native vegetation.
5. Joe Biden wins: What does that mean for climate change policy and the Green New Deal – Without Congress, he’ll be limited to executive action, just like Obama, Vox reports, but he will not be powerless — there are expansive parts of his climate agenda that he can drive through executive power alone.
6. Mars introduces recycled content into pet food packaging to support a Circular Economy – Mars will incorporate recycled polypropylene plastic into the primary packaging for some of its popular pet food brands in efforts to reduce virgin plastics use and to do its part to build a circular economy where no packaging becomes waste.
7. LastObject launches new kit to fight coronavirus waste – Danish eco-brand LastObject is releasing LastMask x Spray, a reusable kit to help curb the amount of waste created by the pandemic. The kit includes a face mask and hand sanitiser spray which come in a compact silicon carry case.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living.