Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. The futuristic cargo ship made of wood – The shipping industry’s climate impact is large and growing, but a team in Costa Rica is making way for a clean shipping revolution with a cargo ship made of wood, BBC Future reports.
2. Northern Ireland Water plans to plant a million trees – Northern Ireland Water’s ambition, to plant over a million trees over the next 10 years is underway, according to WWT. As the second biggest landowner in Northern Ireland, NI Water is delivering a large-scale planting programme across 11,300 hectares of land.
3. Riding Sunbeams awarded £2.5m for solar rail project – Riding Sunbeams, the solar rail company, has been awarded a £2.5 million grant to build and connect a solar powered energy plant that will directly power rail in East Sussex, Smart Transport writes.
4. UK’s largest community solar park to be developed near Bicester, Oxford -Comprising of 45,000 solar panels, with battery storage also approved, it will form part of Project Local Energy Oxfordshire (LEO), one of the most ambitious smart grid trials ever conducted in the UK, Oxford Mail reports.
5. Bill Gates’s predictions for the future of work – Bill Gates says in-person meetings aren’t the ‘gold standard’ anymore and that 50% of business travel will go away even after pandemic, Business Insider reports.
6. Norwegian start-up wants to build houses out of 100% recycled plastic – Using one of the world’s problems to solve another is the philosophy behind a Norwegian start-up’s mission to develop affordable housing from 100% recycled plastic. The Othalo project will create demonstrator homes for Kenya, Cameroon and Senegal, World Economic Forum reports.
7. How One Community Is Turning A Crisis Into An Opportunity – The water crisis in Flint, Michigan has meant that residents have had to rely on single-use plastic water bottles for their drinking water. Genusee is turning an environmental crisis into an opportunity for sustainable innovation by recycling Flint’s single-use plastic water bottles to create fashionable eyewear, BuzzFeedVideo highlights.
Image Credit: Genusee
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living.