Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. Indigenous-owned solar farm opens in remote northern Alberta community – An Indigenous-owned solar farm in remote northeast Alberta, branded the largest project of its kind in Canada, celebrated its grand opening this week, bringing increased renewable energy independence to a community long reliant on diesel fuel, CBC reports.
2. Increasing Demand for Eco-Friendly Packaging is Driving Growth – The global paper packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 4.5% during 2020-2026, according to Yahoo!.
3. Denmark agrees deal to have 775,000 electric cars by 2030 – Denmark on Friday agreed on a deal with parliament to put at least 775,000 electric or hybrid cars on Danish roads by 2030 in its latest move to reach its ambitious target reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 70% in 2030, according to Reuters.
4. Cher rescues Kaavan the elephant to his new sanctuary in Cambodia – The elephant dubbed the loneliest in the world has been flown from Pakistan to his new home at a sanctuary in Cambodia. Kaavan the elephant was accompanied on the trip by Oscar-winning actress and singer, Cher, who helped arrange the rescue along with her charity, Free the Wild, Lonely Planet reports.
5. Foals’ keyboardist Edwin says ‘tour differently’ to help climate – Foals keyboardist Edwin Congrave has said he has questioned being in the band over the carbon footprint of their global tours, according to the BBC.
6. Edinburgh bottler launches whisky to support conservation effort – Edinburgh-based bottling business Young Spirits has launched a whisky that will support the conservation effort in Africa. The company said it will donate a share of revenues generated from sales of its Uhuru whisky to conservation charity Tusk, to support efforts to protect African wildlife including elephants, The Herald reports.
7. Eco-friendly cleaning products – Good Housekeeping put eco-friendly cleaning products to the test and make the switch.
Image Credit: Uhuru/Young Spirits
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living.