Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. Here Are Biden’s Day One Actions on the Climate and Environment – President Joe Biden officially took office Wednesday, and immediately set to work reversing some of former president’s environmental policies. Biden emphasized the climate crisis as one of the major challenges facing his administration, along with the coronavirus pandemic and systemic racism, EcoWatch writes.
2. Protecting Tree Health in England – Forestry England highlight how it’s safeguarding trees from pests and diseases and protecting their future.
3. Stop the Illegal Wildlife Trade: The former naval officer now leading Kenya’s fight against poaching – With tourism on pause due to coronavirus, Kenya Wildlife Service has stepped up its battle against illegal wildlife trade, says Director General Brigadier John Waweru writes The Independent.
4. South America plans regional response to squid overfishing – Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile and Argentina are pledging to cooperate on policing the international squid fishing fleet at the edge of their waters, according to China Dialogue Ocean.
5. How an app is helping Bristol businesses team up with locals to fight food waste – The Too Good To Go food waste app is being used by independent restaurants, as well as national chains in the city such as Morrisons and Costa Coffee to prevent food waste, Going for Gold Bristol writes.
6. Kyoto University develops world’s first wooden satellite in bid to reduce space waste – Researchers from Kyoto University are developing a satellite made from wood that would burn up completely at the end of its life to reduce the amount of human-made waste floating in space, Dezeen reports.
7. Plastic-free sachets and hydrogen-powered F1 cars: The best green innovations from CES 2021 – From big-name corporates to tiny startups, the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) saw thousands of companies showcase their newest tech-based innovations. edie rounds up some of the biggest announcements around green products.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living.