Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. Sea Eagles: The UK’s largest bird of prey has been spotted at Loch Lomond for the first time in over a century – A pair of the UK’s largest birds of prey were spotted on the shores of Loch Lomond earlier this year for the first time in over 100 years, The Scotsman reports.
2. Ocean conservation group works with community to restore coral reefs – In an effort to rehabilitate a vital waterfront on Oahu, ocean conservation group Malama Maunalua has begun a first of it’s kind project to rebuild coral reefs in Maunalua Bay. Over 4,000 thermally resilient and locally sourced coral fragments will be planted to help rebuild coral reefs, according to Hawaii News Now.
3. Meet The Women Working On The Frontline Of Ocean Conservation – From freeing giant whales tangled in nets to intercepting illegal fishing vessels – it’s all in a day’s work for Sea Shepherd Conservation Society’s frontline workers, Vogue reports.
4. Croatian island hopes to go fully green by 2030 – The northern Adriatic island of Krk looks headed towards energy self-sufficiency by the end of the decade in what environmentalists say is an example for the Mediterranean in transition to green and sustainable power, Reuters reports.
5. Are energy islands the future of renewables? – Proposals to combine renewable energy streams on purpose built islands are becoming more and more common place, writes New Civil Engineer.
6. This German Supermarket Sells Food Rejected By Other Shops – SirPlus prevents about 2,000 tonnes of food waste a year, according to World Economic Forum.
7. “If you’re not a sustainable business five years from now, you’re out of business” – Earlier this month, Danish furniture manufacturer Carl Hansen & Søn partnered with Dezeen to present a talk that focused on sustainability in the design, architecture and food industry, and to discuss how they are working to build a greener future.
Image Credit: Lamya Essemlali/Sea Shepherd France
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living.