Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. This new Shanghai Starbucks has only reusable cups and reusable everything else – The store is a test to see if the coffee giant can design for the circular economy, Fast Company writes.
2. This small city in Finland is leading the way as a model sustainable city – Lahti won the award for European Green Capital in 2021. Its transition from a traditional, industrial town into a modern green city has become a European success story, Euronews writes.
3. Design China Beijing 2021 show to explore sustainability in the post-pandemic world – The fourth edition of Design China Beijing takes place this week and will showcase international brands alongside local talent under the theme of “nature, nurture and sustainable beauty”, according to Dezeen.
4. NASA Innovations Will Help US Meet Sustainable Aviation Goals – NASA is investing in cost-sharing partnerships with U.S. companies to research and demonstrate high-risk, high-reward technology for next-generation, single-aisle aircraft that are at least 25% more fuel efficient, according to NASA.
5. Building a More Sustainable Car, From Headlamp to Tailpipe – Vehicle makers shy away from traditional materials that are hard to recycle, like leather and plastics, and look to repurpose alternatives that still convey quality, The New York Times reports.
6.This little-known Italian paradise is more than meets the eye – Italy’s Po Delta region is known as a conservation hub, supported by a thriving fishing industry and ecotourism. But few know about the community of women who fish these waters in a traditionally male-dominated profession, National Geographic reports.
7. World leaders pledge $400 billion to boost clean energy and renewables – Political and business leaders have committed more than $400 billion to the expansion of renewable and clean energy, the UN announced. They also vowed to dramatically expand access to electricity in developing nations, DW News writes.
Image: Lahti, Finland
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyle including sustainable and green living
One thought on “Microcosm of the Macrocosm: 7 Planet-Focused Stories from Around the World”
Very cool stuff going on out there! Thanks for sharing this.