As winter approaches, you may want to boost the amount of Vitamin C in your daily diet. Vitamin C is vital to immune function and the maintenance of bone, skin, teeth, and joints.
The fruit of the acerola cherry tree – which is native to Central America, northern South America, Mexico, and the Caribbean – is rich in vitamin C and carotenoids, with the cherry-like fruits being one of the richest-known natural sources of vitamin C.
Acerola cherry also contains a whole array of bioflavonoids, vitamins, minerals and other phyto-nutrients, making it an ideal food-based source of nutrition.
Acerola powder can be used to make herbal tonics to boost your immune system during the colder months. The below recipe can be used as a daily winter tonic.
- 1 tsp Organic Acerola powder
- 1 tsp Organic Ginger powder
- 2 tbsps Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) with Mother
- 1 tsp Raw honey
- 150ml Hot water
- Add the acerola powder and ginger powder to a mug or tea cup
- Add the ACV and honey. Stir the mixture.
- Pour 150ml of hot water over the mixture and stir. Acerola has a very sharp, bitter taste so do a taste test and add more raw honey if needs be.